If you receive an ERS for retirees only, you will not be able to claim a premium tax credit for the months in which the HRA is provided to you. (See Question 8 on what is included in household income.) The affordability test applies only to the portion of the annual self-coverage premiums and does not include additional costs for family insurance. If the employer offers multiple health insurance options, the affordability test applies to the most cost-effective option available to you that also meets the minimum value requirement. If your employer offers wellness programs (including programs based on a health factor or requiring that the wellness incentive be earned), the affordability criterion is based on the premium you would pay if you received the maximum discount for smoking cessation programs and did not receive other discounts based on wellness programs. Lol If you are married and file your tax return with the status of a return that is filed separately, you may be eligible for the premium tax credit if you meet the criteria of section 1.36B-2(b)(2) of the Income Tax Regulations, which allows certain victims of domestic violence and spousal exit to claim the premium tax credit using the separate tax status. spouses. You can apply for this exemption from the joint deposit requirement if you meet all of the following criteria: An employer-sponsored plan provides a minimum value if the plan covers at least 60% of the total eligible costs expected for the services covered. The plan must also provide significant coverage for hospitalization and medical services. Starting in 2014, your employer will need to provide you with a document called a summary of benefits and coverage. This document will give you information about the benefits and coverage of your employer-sponsored plan, including whether the plan offers a minimum value. In addition, under the Fair Labour Standards Act, most employers will give employees a unique notice of their market options and their potential eligibility for a premium tax credit. This single notice contains information indicating whether the employer has a plan that offers a minimum value. The credit is “refundable” because if the amount of the credit is greater than the amount of your tax payable, you will receive the difference as a refund.

If you do not owe tax, you can receive the full amount of the credit as a refund. However, if upfront payments have been made to your insurance company and your actual eligible credit on your return is less than the prepayments of your loan, the difference will be deducted from your repayment or added to your balance owing, subject to certain repayment limits. You are entitled to the premium tax credit if you meet all of the following conditions: Yes, it is possible. If you have an APTC of any amount or do not have an APTC but plan to take advantage of the premium tax credit, you will need to file a Form 8962 and attach it to your federal income tax return for that year. If you have an APTC, use Form 8962 to match the difference between the APTC created on your behalf and the actual amount of credit you can claim on your return. This notification obligation applies whether or not you have to file a return. The amount of the premium tax credit is generally equal to the premium for the second lowest money plan available on the Market that applies to your insurance family members, minus a certain percentage of your household income. However, the credit must not exceed the rewards of the Marketplace plan or the plans you or your family sign up for (called sign-up rewards). Your insurance family consists of family members who are enrolled in coverage through the Marketplace and who are not eligible for non-marketplace coverage such as Medicare, Medicaid, or affordable employer-sponsored coverage. (See question 6 to find out who is in your family.) Note: Federal poverty guidelines – sometimes referred to as the “federal poverty line” or FPL – give an amount of income that counts as the poverty level for the year, based on family size.

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) establishes the federal poverty guideline each year. The government usually adjusts revenue limits each year to account for inflation. At the beginning of each calendar year, the Federal Register publishes a table reflecting these amounts. This information can also be found on the HHS website. HHS offers three federal guidelines on poverty: one for residents of the 48 contiguous states and D.C., one for Alaskans, and one for Hawaiians. For the purposes of the premium tax credit, eligibility for a given year is based on the most recent federal poverty guidelines published on the first day of the annual open registration period. For example, the 2018 tax credit is based on the 2017 LPF. For more information, see the instructions for Form 8962. If you have an excess premium tax credit for 2020, you do not need to report it on your 2020 income tax return or file Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit. If you purchased coverage through the Marketplace, you should receive Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Market Statement, from your Market by early February. If this form indicates that the APTC was paid on behalf of a family member, you must complete Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit (TCO) to reconcile these advance payments.

Form 1095-A contains the information you need to complete Form 8962. If you have any questions about the information on Form 1095-A or how to obtain Form 1095-A, you should contact your Marketplace directly. The IRS is unable to answer questions about the information on your Form 1095-A or missing or lost forms. If your coverage comes from a former employer, such as COBRA or retiree coverage, you can opt out of the employer`s coverage, even if it is affordable and offers minimal value, and may be eligible for the market coverage premium tax credit. The suspension of the APTC surplus refund obligation only applies to the 2020 taxation year. If you received the APTC benefit for a taxation year other than 2020, you will need to file Form 8962 to match your APTC and TPC for the year you file the federal income tax return for that tax year, even if you do not need to file a tax return for that year. .